Nichols & Green Nichols & Green
Do I Have To Show Up To Court

Protecting Your Rights

Do I Have to Show Up to Court?

If you are charged with reckless driving there are only two ways you can avoid appearing in Virginia Traffic Court without negative repercussions:

1)      The summons you were issued came with instructions on how to avoid having to appear to court (Click here for more information)

2)      You hire a reckless driving attorney and the judge grants a “motion to waive your appearance” thereby allowing your attorney to appear on your behalf.

Contact a local reckless driving attorney if you wish to have your appearance waived by a judge. If your attorney makes a motion to waive your appearance he or she can appear in court on your behalf for some criminal offenses, including some forms of reckless driving.

If you do not show up to your reckless driving trial and have not had your appearance waived, there are two possible consequences:

1)      You may be tried in absentia (tried in your absence)

2)      The judge may issue a bench warrant for your arrest and charge you with the additional crime of “failure to appear”.

Contact a local reckless driving attorney to find out whether you are in danger of having a bench warrant issued for your arrest. If a bench warrant has already been issued, consult a local attorney immediately.

Many drivers contact their local court clerks to find out how to avoid appearing in court. Some court clerks will tell the driver to write a letter to the judge. Writing a letter to a judge is not an excused absence, it is only a plea for mercy. Do not submit any letters to the court without at least having a free consultation from a local reckless driving attorney.

A Distinguished Fairfax Criminal Defense Law Firm
  • Fairfax Bar Association
  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2020 - Speeding Ticket
  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2020 - DUI & DWI
  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2020 - Criminal Defense
  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2021 - Criminal Defense
Protecting Your Rights

100% Satisfaction Guarantee: You Obtain a Free appeal if You are Not Satisfied with the Outcome

Call us today
Contact Us
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.